In episode 48, Stacey hears from Australian educator, advocate, and
#AusELT administrator, Lesley Cioccarelli. Lesley explains some of the options for language learning and settlement available to recent immigrants in Australia. She also talks about the professional organizations that advocate for the best interests
of those learners and why teachers should be members of their local and national professional associations. If you have ever wanted to make your hometown a more welcoming place for migrants and refugees, this episode will inspire you to follow in Lesley’s footsteps and take local, grassroots action in your own city!
We welcome feedback, resources, and diverse perspectives on this topic! To contribute to the conversation started here, leave us a voicemail or send a text message to (629)888-3398. Or you can follow us on Twitter @weteachlang or use this contact form to send us an email.
To learn more about Lesley and her work…
…Check out this video made at Lesley’s work, highlighting her passion for personal learning networks. You are going to LOVE this video: https://cit.edu.au/about/innovation/historymakers/lesley_cioccarelli
…You can also find Lesley on her blog or on Twitter @cioccas
- This page gives a good overview of the test format, and a link to another Summary of ISLPR Descriptors: https://www.ames.net.au/students/international-second-language-proficiency-rating
- ISLPR mapped to IELTS and TOEFL
- ISLPR mapped to IELTS, TOEFL, Canadian Language Benchmarks CSWE and more – See table in Appendix A2 of this :
- The Welcome Dinner Project
- First Hike Project – aims to help refugees feel at home in Australia and to deepen their connection to their new country.
- Girls on Bikes – teaching migrant and refugee women in Canberra to ride bikes
- Season 2, Episode 7 – Chinese Language Teaching – Rita Wang
- Season 2, Episode 1 – English Language Teaching with James Taylor
- Season 1, Episode 15 – English Language Teaching with Kieran Donaghy
- Season 1, Episode 10 – EAL (English as an Additional Language), expat teaching with Nicole James
One thought on “We Teach Languages Episode 48: Welcoming and Advocating for New Arrivals with Lesley Cioccarelli”